That varies per person. In most cases, the flu lasts for a week. Fever usually clears up within three to five days. After that, it often takes a few weeks before you have fully recovered. Does the fever not pass in a few days? Then consult your doctor.
Can you get the flu multiple times in one winter season?
If you’ve had the flu in a particular winter season, you probably won’t get the flu in that same season or only in a mild form. In a new winter season you can get the flu again. Flu viruses are constantly changing. As a result, antibodies that you have built up during an influenza in an earlier season do not work as well against influenza viruses of the new season.
Can you exercise if you have the flu?
If you have the flu, you better stay in bed. Your body needs a lot of energy to get better. Do you have a fever? Then exercising is not only unwise, but also dangerous. Incidentally, that you could sweat out a flu by exercising a lot is utter nonsense. If you have had the flu and / or a fever, it is important to get well out and not to start exercising again too soon. After a flu, your resistance is considerably affected. Give yourself enough time to get sick to avoid being sick in bed again in no time.
Can you prevent the flu?
There are a number of things you can do to prevent yourself from or infecting others with the flu virus:
- Use tissue paper and discard after one use.
- Hold a handkerchief over your nose and mouth when you need to sneeze or cough. No tissue to hand? Then cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hands.
- Touch your nose and mouth as little as possible.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water . Dry your hands with paper and discard after use.
- Ventilate all rooms by opening your windows for at least ten minutes every day.
- Keep up your resistance. Want to know how to do that? Then read our article about resistance in which we give you five tips!